We are always looking for trained, qualified professionals to join our employment team, including graduates who hold a diploma in the Developmental Services Worker (DSW) or another human services program (for example, Social Services, Social Work, Personal Services Worker, Child & Youth Worker or Early Childhood Education).


We also welcome the opportunities to help high school, college and university students to meet their educational requirements by doing a placement with Community Living Trent Highlands. Placement opportunities are available both in administrative positions (for example, answering the phone) and providing services (working with the people we serve).

Accepting a student placement depends whether staff is available to provide supervision as well as the learning needs of the student and his or her suitability or ‘fit’ with our organization and mission.

We are looking for students who are:

  • Committed to everyone’s right to be a part of the typical and valued life of the community.
  • Respectful of people living with disabilities / challenges and their families.
  • Interested in learning about our services, the people we support, our community relationships and the challenges and issues that face people living with developmental disabilities and their families.
  • Willing and able to work independently and in a team setting.


The Developmental Services Worker diploma prepares you to work in the developmental disability field. There are several colleges in Ontario that offer the program; to view a list, click here.

Employment Ontario’s Apprenticeship Program

Through Employment Ontario’s Apprenticeship Program you can earn while you work towards a Certificate of Apprenticeship. You can also apply your general college education credits (as determined by each college) towards the Developmental Services Worker diploma. For more information about the program click here.

Apprenticeship opportunities are available at Community Living Trent Highlands. For more information please contact us.

Post Diploma Opportunities

Unique in Canada, the Post Diploma Degree Completion program in Disability Studies gives adults with a college diploma in the disability field, or with other related post-secondary academic credentials and work, the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Arts  (Disability Studies) from Ryerson University. This degree prepares students for leadership roles in the developmental services field. For more information about the program, click here.

Also be sure to visit the Developmental Disabilities Division at the University of Western Ontario.

Post-Secondary Opportunities for the People We Support

The Community Integration through Co-operative Education (CICE) helps students to learn valuable employment skills through an integrated and supported educational setting and career-related, supervised field placements. The two-year program is offered to people living with developmental disabilities, brain injuries, mental health issues and other learning challenges.

For more information about CICE, including the colleges at which you can take this course of study, please click here.